Peter Brown greeted our guests and lead our invocation at today's meeting.  Jack Pickering and Jim Cameron also did a great job taking attendance and selling raffle tickets. Pete Crooker, Steve Wilterdink and Matt O'Connor reminded us about some upcoming events: May 1 for our First Friday Fellowship at Amana Indian Restaurant, May 2 for our R Community Bike Drop and May 9 at Saint's Place to help haul furniture and household goods.
 
Bruce Spector was unable to attend today's Rotary meeting but reported the status of of our participation in a Global Grant to purchase hearing aids in Turkey. Through generous checks, cash and commitments from Richard Colby, Jim Murphy, Bob Vukosic, Kevin O'Grady, Bill Taylor and Bruce Spector, and matching from our Club's Foundation, a $500 check to The Rotary Foundation has been sent to PDG Ellen Hughes.
 
Bob Vukosic is asking us to please keep Angie Vukosic in our prayers that she be peaceful and comfortable during her struggle with her illness. Prayers for a miracle are welcome, too. She is comforted by personal and telephone communications with her family and many friends.
 
We were also joined by Tom Waldgen from the Fairport Rotary Club and guest speakers Michael Crisona, of American Cancer Society and Anne Tatarsky of Pittsford"s Relay for Life.
 
American Cancer Society (ACS) has worked relentlessly to save lives and create a world with less cancer. 72% of ACS resources go to cancer research, patient support, prevention information and education, and detection and treatment. The remaining 28% of resources are spent on management compensation and general infrastructure, and fundraising expenses.96% of their donors are from people like us via special events such Relay for Life on July 11, 2015 at Pittsford Sutherland High School Track, personal and corporate contributions and bequests. Many of these donors gave an average gift of just $50 to help those affected by cancer. 3% of their support came from investment income, and 1% came from grants and contracts from government agencies.
 
 

Sponsors

Interested in being a sponsor?
Download the website sponsorship guide